Author Topic: Final Missions  (Read 11217 times)

Cygnus

• Astronaut
Final Missions
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:01:38 PM »

I am curious if the Team has any plans to release the last missions for each shuttle? Flying them would be bitter-sweet but would really add the "final" touches to the missions list.  :)

Cyg

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: Final Missions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »

I am curious if the Team has any plans to release the last missions for each shuttle? Flying them would be bitter-sweet but would really add the "final" touches to the missions list.  :)

Cyg

We have the plans to release ALL the Shuttle missions so the last missions are on the menu of course. For now we prioritize according to mission "cool factor" and of course scientific and historical significance.

Since the last missions have definitely an historical significance, they will feature quite high on our priority list, but we still have some much cooler missions to finish before them :)

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Cygnus

• Astronaut
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
I like "ALL"....."All" is good! ;D

That'll be one heck of a list!

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
What I am specifically waiting for is the Mir-missions :)

bjbeard

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Like STS-2,3,4,5,6,7???

All as in ALL????

YIPPIEE!!!!!!!

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
Like STS-2,3,4,5,6,7???

All as in ALL????

YIPPIEE!!!!!!!

Hmm - let's see: 110/12 is rougly 10 YEARS! That would be the time it will take us to add all the remainin missions, considering that it takes roughly one month to complete one. That means two things:

1. Most exciting/important ones have priority.
2. Hopefully we'll have a good reason to continue and create 3-4 more major versions.

Yes, we want to do them all - question is, what will be happening during the following 10 years :)

/Admin

bjbeard

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
As long as governments don't do anything to blow everyone up, I'll be right here, awaiting mission packs and upgrades. When the new version drops i'll get that one. I didn't envision all the missions on 07 btw.

I have plenty of time. What I find most satisfying is that this is a living history. Virtual Living History. One can read about the shuttle missions, then live them here!   

Cygnus

• Astronaut
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
I wonder if ES knew how well received SSM would be? For my part, I was ecstatic when I found the link for the demo.  :)

Tiberion

• Just joined training
    • BBC Gaming Guilds
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
I agree, when I found out about this, and how accurate it is down to the switches I about wet myself and immediatetly purchased it and a new Thrustmaster flightstick.  Thanks for the great work, and as far as the final flights go, I would love to see STS131 first, just because of the landing ground track across the US.
Tib

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the warm words and support guys. At this end we're constantly trying to pleasantly surprise you at every corner :)

/Admin

Cygnus

• Astronaut
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
I have never given so much praise to any game, sim, or company such as I have here. I am still in a state of amazement at how well this forum and sim are operated and cared for. The Team deserves all the credit that is due.  ;)

...and with that post, I am now officially and "Astronaut"!!  ;D

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 04:45:51 AM »
I see that this is a community consisting of people that have a lot in common in terms of how almost everyone reacted once SSM2007 had been discovered. I also almost wet myself and immediatetly purchased it. This is something for which money is no question to me at all, beside that I like to give a return for hard work on such a great product.

The same also is the case for MS Flight Simulator of course. And I'm especially glad for the cooperation between Exciting Simulations and PMDG Simulations (I'm flying their 737NG and 747-400 which is a true enjoyment). I'm very happy to live in such favourable times for my space flight and commercial aviation hobby, which I think is true for millions of enthusiasts around the globe who regularly use flight simulations such as SSM2007 and all the MSFS stuff (since most of us never get the chance to fly the real stuff).

That it takes almost 10 years to finish all missions for SSM20XX is not a bad thing for me. First of all, I don't have to "wait" since there are a lot of missions already available whilst there are new missions from time to time anyway (and I like to fly mostly real time so it takes some time to complete "all" missions anyway). I've waited some 15 years for something like SSM2007, as often stated, which shows that the enthusiasm probably will never die. And I think that this is valid for a lot of people ;D Space flight and aviation is not a temporary interest I think. I'm convinced that it is an inherent part of lots of peoples lifes, even if they never work in the business...

CapCom71

• Just joined training
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
Well, I think that since it´s official that the shuttle program dies the interest in the general public grew massively.

Space in general is one of the classical interests to all kinda people, it was like that before, and it will last forever - at least as long as mankind will exist.

So that through www the professional sources become available for each and everyone in an easy way, the more and more people can understand in much more detail the things around spaceflight and the shuttle systems, missions and techniques.

So this piece of great sim and it´s forthcoming 2010 version are a truly remarkable and worthy memorial for the great ladies named Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour.

Cheers!

Jorg

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »
Moon walker, Cygnus,

You are describing the same feelings of disbelief and excitement I had when I discovered the Virgin Shuttle on the shelves of a computers store back in '92 or '93 I believe. I still remember the frustration of not being able to see the other missions before finishing the previous ones. I still remember the "secret satellite" mission, and of course, I still have the box, booklet, the floppies and the cockpit poster intact!

Now Fast Forward almost 15 years ahead and we have SSM2007 and now, "SSM2010" is in the Assembly Building, with new equipment, modern retro-fitting and more performance, ready for new and exciting missions ;)

Yep, we enjoy the ride too!

/Admin

Cygnus

• Astronaut
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:03 AM »
I found that virgin sim around '91. I quickly went home and installed it on my new Tower that had a 75MHz cpu, 132 meg hd and a whopping 4 megs of memory! Oh the joy and fun I had with that extremely realistic flight sim!!  :D

I would start at roll out, go to work, then come home just after the shuttle was at the pad, then start the flight deck set up. If I remember, you could start at the t-6hr mark and set all the switches before "crew entry". You also had to love the 8 bit color!! Still, I never forgot how cool it was. To see SSM 2007 now compared to screen shots from Virgin, well, it's like looking at a model T sitting next to a Ferrari!  :)