Author Topic: Final Shuttle Crew Named  (Read 2662 times)

RMS Driver

• Astronaut
  • "Docking Complete"
Final Shuttle Crew Named
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »
The crew of STS-133, which is expected to be the final mission of the Space Shuttle Program, was announced today:

CDR: Steven Lindsey
PLT: Eric Boe
MS1: Benjamin Drew
MS2: Timothy Kopra
MS3: Michael Barratt
MS4: Nicole Stott

It really surprised me how recently many of the crew have flown. Barratt and Stott are currently members of the Expedition 20 crew, Kopra recently returned from STS-128, Boe flew on STS-126 one year ago, and Drew flew on STS-118 two years ago.

I'm guessing that many of the current Shuttle Corps are either retired or tied up with post-shuttle activities, such as working on the Constellation Program? Or is this to reduce the "refresher training" needed before the mission, which should help NASA to fly the final mission before the end of 2010?
Regards,
Chris

All Missions

FAAmecanic

• Astronaut
  • Science for the advancement of ALL mankind!
Re: Final Shuttle Crew Named
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
I do know from my best friend from college, who happens to be the lead trainer at NASA JSC, that there is no funding for Shuttle Ops for FY11.  And in several articles I have seen there is a HUGE food fight going on to even try to fund the Orion and Constellation programs.  Augustine just wrote a memo after chairing a panel to make recommendations to congress...it aint pretty.

I would be willing to bet your correct in that NASA is trying to minimize the training costs for the final crews.