Author Topic: Guru status revoked  (Read 2770 times)

USA~Driver

Guru status revoked
« on: January 23, 2009, 07:32:07 AM »
I just had to cry uncle with STS-98. ADMIN was correct when he stated This mission was not for the faint of heart. Totally disgusted, Totally dejected. Today, I did something I've never done before: Abandon a shuttle in space and start another mission.  :o  I used to think I was 'Mr Shuttle' but looks like I'm on my way to the classroom for a serious remedial.  FLIGHT STATUS: REVOKED.   :-[

desktopsimmer

• Shuttle Pilot
  • Re-Building Mir, with a Hammer and Sickle
    • My 3D Models
Re: Guru status revoked
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:15:51 PM »
The early ISS missions are hard. Should there be a four star rating :)

I was struggling on STS-88. Getting the Unity module on the docking ring was hard enough, but to get Zarya on top of Unity, that was tough. However, a second attempt was made easier with Uri's discovery of disabling the Soft stop on the RMS, giving me a bit more room to get Unity and Zarya into position.
Winner of the "weakest HW/OS combination on which SSM2007 runs with acceptable frame-rates" - Admin

Proud SSM2007 Linux User

mborgia

• Astronaut
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:00:36 AM »
I had to go to single joint mode on STS-88 (before the discovery of SOFT STOP INH) to get Unity into position on the ODS.  If you have the joint positions from the Swannick checklists, it works out.

The trick with STS-98 is not to use the RMS roll joint to rotate Destiny into position.  It is mounted in the cargo bay with its floor facing up.  You must use the RMS wrist pitch to flip end over end into the right positoin for berthing.  Then using the Swannick provided coordinates makes it easy.

Get that guru status back, its not that hard! 

HMSEndeavorreborn

• Astronaut
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:11:50 AM »
I was struggling on STS-88. Getting the Unity module on the docking ring was hard enough, but to get Zarya on top of Unity, that was tough.
Really? Even without the soft stop I found getting Zarya into position on top of Unity was  easy.
Born On Earth. Yearning To Live Amongst The Stars