Author Topic: The Silent Majority  (Read 7354 times)

Tractorman

• Trainee
  • Build the Station Build the Future
The Silent Majority
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
Having read several meassges and threads over the last day or so I felt it was time that the silent majority who appreciate the quality of this sim spoke in support of admin and the team.

I have no programming experience and am i complete novice at this, but am more than happy to practise to gain the skills needed to complete the missions.

If as some people seem to request we could all complete the mission in a couple of days, there would be all sorts of moans about value for money.

Support has been extremely quick in sorting problems and large software companies would struggle to release patches at the rate which some would like.

I for one would just like to thank the team for their work and support and remember it takes years of training to become a shuttle team member.  :D :D

sharp65

• Just joined training
Re: The Silent Majority
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »
I have to agree, I didn't purchase this expecting everything to de done for me. What's the fun if there's no challenge involved? Albeit their may be some bugs, but I'm sure all of the real bugs that have been discovered are being worked on in a future patch. Reading over some of the other posts/threads I noticed that they are already getting feedback on future missions and checklists/guides to help those who are still having trouble. Maybe if someone other than the developers have some spare time they can make some video tutorials and put them on youtube or something, some people learn better visually. But overrall I think it's a great sim, being able to press all the knobs/swithces is really cool :)

mwabd1

• Just joined training
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:21:43 PM »
So far I must say that its a very good sim. Oh and far supperior than S3!

blachwk

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:33 AM »
Ditto, on being a great sim! I know it takes a good team and skill to create something like this. I've been toying around on making something like this for Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, and Spacelab missions. (I know there are ones like that already out), but I would want to have the same specifications and standards in which Shuttle mission 2007 has set. Its blown the others out of the water, even w/a few bugs or patches! Problem is, I would need more than just myself to create something and would not want to compete against this product. Once again thanks for raising the bar on space sims!

kimmern123

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »
I've been saying some negative things about the sim, but when compared to the vastness of the sim with all the systems that are simulated I think the team has done a damn good job!

So far my favourite part is using the RMS! It's challenging but really rewarding once you finally get the feel of it. I haven't tried docking to the ISS yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I also love watchin the sunrises! Well done on the visuals there!

The music is also terrific and I enjoy every launch an landing with it.

Admin, have you considered making a thread where unaccurate stuff the users find in the sim can be posted? That way you can make a list of things to improve on in future upgrades and versions?

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 02:05:19 AM »

This just in our email system (personal details withheld):

======================================
"Wow! Thanks ...that was exceptionally fast! :)

By the way…I’m not much of a forum chatter but still I wanted to congratulate you guys for an outstanding sim!!!!

I’m an Italian ex commercial pilot trained in uk and now IT Consultant in Milan…I have played just about any sim that has come out in the last 15-20 years and I have to say so far ssm07 is the best by a good measure as far as space sims go!!!!!!!!

Congrats again to the Team….Great Job!!!

Happy 2008!

S.C"

===========================

Thank you captain!
/Admin

- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

henrik

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:41:38 AM »
Have to chime in. It carries the feel of real spaceflight better than any sim I've used before. And I'm one of those people who like a steep learning curve and maximum realism, so having all the buttons, knobs and switches actually in use is a real treat for me.

It's not perfect, but it's not meant to be. You just released. I'm sure as time goes on, the problems get fixed and more utilities become available either directly from you guys or enthusiasts to bring it even closer to realism.

Orion1

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 04:03:32 AM »
  I have to say that this is one of the most engrossing sims I have every used. there is really nothing else out there like it. Now that computing horsepower is spreading to the masses, Simulations like these are finding their way to the average home. It used to be that procedural sims used to only belong to govt. or large corporate entities. But this sim is incredible in it's duplication to reality.

As an educational tool, this software has no equal. Just from the 3 days I have  "played" SSM2k7, I have learned more and now have a much deeper understanding, not to mention appreciation, of what is going on when the Space shuttle is on the launch pad all the way thru till orbit (i havent got anywhere near landing yet). I will never watch another launch again quite the same way. It's like the mystery of how exactly do the rendevous with the ISS, or grapple things with the arm, is gone, this in itself has been incredibly eye-opening and I can't imagine a better way to "learn" about the Space program and the Shuttle specifically, than by using this simulator.

Developers, you guys have stumbled onto to something here, and I hope you capitalize on it FAST! Accurate procedural simulations for consumers or enthusiasts is the the future of Sims. Ever notice how many "games" are looking more and more like a simulation of reality? That's what we want, recreation of reality (or fantasy) but a recreation none-the-less. The only thing that this sim falls a little short on, is the recreation of the visuals while in space. If you guys can up the images in orbit and of the craft themelves, Oh man, your going to corner the market! I know there is plenty of time in the future for that, but as a user, I'm playing around with modding some of the textures to "try" to get it more realistic visually. But there is only so much texture alterations can do. I have changed the smoke during lift off, and it does look better than stock.
The thing is, you guys have nailed the comms and procedures and panels of the interior of the shuttle, but you guys did such a good job, that now, it really contrasts the exterior visuals. Just one small example, the Earth's atmosphere glow. In the sim it is foggy white. The reality is it is a glowing blue. Also, the earth on the day side actually becomes a light source. Take a look at EVA pics, you'll notice the cargo bay or the planet itself very much lit up by the reflected light off the atmosphere. These are nit picks, and don't get me wrong, it is purely asthetic, but it really is the final hurdle to leap to stand out and be The company for a shuttle or space sim. Project Orion is in the next decade and so your source material will always be there, so please don't stop once the shuttles are retired.

In the end this software is a jewel. Especially considering that your "staff" is less than 15 people. You guys have a lottery ticket here, innovate, gives us a sim that not only blows our mind with the attention to detail to accuracy, but also that feeling that we aren't sitting at our PC's, that we are in orbit in command. It's 80% there, that last 20% is purely when we look out the window.....
I wish you all success and thank you for the experience. 

ariake

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »
I have to say that this shuttle is great, and a testament to the dedication of the developers to produce such a realistic simulation.

I would also like to show my appreciation to the Support Team for their fast responses to problems, despite it being the middle of the night in the USA.

For the critics and people who just like to complain, what else did you expect?
The information provided prior to the release of the game did state that it was going to be complex.
After all isn't that the sign of a good simulation?
(Perhaps those who like to complain should go back to playing their Nintendo's or Playstation's?)  ;D

In passing I just like to say that I don't know of any newly released software that doesn't have bugs.

Thanks for a great "Game"

Runibl

• Just joined training
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
I would like to give my appreciation as well for a great simulation.
I'm really loving it. Of course there are bugs, but it has just been released and that is to be expected.
So my thanks for giving me the opportunity to fly the shuttle the way i like it, realistic :)
Rúni.

Becker07

• Astronaut
  • ... my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset ...
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
Bottom line this sim is going to go from strength to strength. I've been waiting for something like this for years and i'm very happy with what i've seen upto now.

Besides there is no way i'd make judgements before i've given it a good going over. There are a couple of things i'm still unsure about but until I can establish it's me rather than the sim i'll be keeping my mouth zipped hehe.

Keep goin devs.

haveblue7

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 02:37:16 AM »
I've been waiting years for a sim that would allow me to experience the pure thrill of shooting Shuttle landings at the Cape and Edwards. The landing portion is so well done that I spent most of my first few days with SSM doing just that. Amazing job! Looks just like NASA TV.

I am also captivated by all of the other aspects of the mission. As others have mentioned, this kind of "reality simulator" allows us to live out our fantasies (and in some cases, dreams) of commanding the most complex machine ever built.

Congrats to the development team for creating something that is stunning and revolutionary right out of the box.

I've been been playing FSX and the framerates are pitiful compared to SSM, plus SSM flies so much smoother and gives you a better 'sense' of flying even though you're essentially trying to ease a brick with wings to a safe landing.

It even runs well enough on my obsolete laptop (2.8Ghz P4, 1G ram, 128MB Ati Radeon). I was so relieved that i didn't have to shell out big bucks to partake in this groundbreaking sim. Keep those missions and patches coming, it just keeps reaching for the stars!!