On Orbit > Space Shuttle Mission Simulator (tm)

Goodbye Space Shuttle

(1/4) > >>

Moonwalker:

--- Quote from: Cras on July 07, 2011, 06:23:02 AM ---...<SNIP>...  I am sure to be in one depressed mood when that happens.
--- End quote ---

I am already.

I have to admit that now, after the Shuttle has launched for the very last time, I am feeling way different than I expected. It had started when I saw the closeout crew holding their good by cards into the camera, and it became worse when I saw the post launch press conference during which Launch Director Michael Leinbach said that "we won't see it ever again" when he talked about his impressions of that final launch. And the final mission isn't even over. It had just begun.

At NASA there won't be any such activities within this decade anymore like the ones we have seen yesterday. The Shuttle program has accompanied my entire youth and life for now but suddenly the end of the program really has arrived. And I am just an insignificant fanboy actually. What I mean by this is: how must NASA employees feel who were working on the program for decades and their entire careers at NASA? ???

Maybe I am naive when I think that the commercial sector was a great concept to base NASAs future on. Maybe it wasn't and I am wrong. At the moment I am rather confused. It's 03:40 a.m. in the morning and after a few very strange dreams that woke me up each time I can't sleep right now. The whole thing stirs me up obviously, which I did not at all expect before that final launch.

Like Cthulhus said, SSM is a start of a new virtual adventure. This is actually what makes me feel better when I think about the current events at NASA. SSM will keep STS in memory for many years or even decades. So: thank you! to Admin and all others behind the curtain of SSM who make it possible. SSM is incomparable. There is nothing else left on the sim market. I am glad this place and this sim does exist!

Admin:
I have seen Apollo's first takeoff, a human landing on the moon, the STS program end to end, but now I fee empty.

"They" promise us a human on an Asteroid around 2020, and a human on Mars "in the 2030s" (meaning anything between 2030 and 2040!). I hope to live long enough to see that happen. That would be for me a good way to go.

Nothing more to add...

/Admin

Moonwalker:

--- Quote from: Admin on July 09, 2011, 11:06:42 AM ---I have seen Apollo's first takeoff, a human landing on the moon, the STS program end to end, but now I fee empty.
--- End quote ---

But you are at least still lucky for witnessing key moments of our space flight history.

I was born too late. But I'm still young. I consider 32 years young these days since we can almost easily become 80+ or even 90+ (and I really love life). So I expect something significant to happen in my lifetime. But sadly not any time soon...

Admin:

--- Quote from: Moonwalker on July 09, 2011, 12:18:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Admin on July 09, 2011, 11:06:42 AM ---I have seen Apollo's first takeoff, a human landing on the moon, the STS program end to end, but now I fee empty.
--- End quote ---

But you are at least still lucky for witnessing key moments of our space flight history.

I was born too late. But I'm still young. I consider 32 years young these days since we can almost easily become 80+ or even 90+ (and I really love life). So I expect something significant to happen in my lifetime. But sadly not any time soon...

--- End quote ---

There is always something new to be looking forward for. You will definitely see the first human landing on Mars while wishing you can live long enough to see the first colony there, or maybe a human landing on Europa or Ganymede  8)

Meanwhile we can all dream about this while watching the excellent BBC two-parts documentary "Space Odissey: Voyage to the Planets" :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/spaceodyssey/

I wish I was part of that crew...

/Admin

Cras:
I am quite bummed out.  The launch was great, and its great as usual watching the mission on NASA TV, but every time something happens, I know it is the last time.  Last RMS check out, then the last docking with ISS.  Last fly around, and sadly, the last landing. 

I think I need to fly STS-1 in SSMS and start the Shuttle era over again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version