Author Topic: Orion Pad Abort 1 Test Successful  (Read 2947 times)

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
Orion Pad Abort 1 Test Successful
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »
Whilst the Ares launchers won't make it ever into space, Orion still has chances to become the Shuttle replacement. NASA has successfully performed the Pad Abort 1 Test two days ago:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/orion/index.html

PS: Do I see another "special mission" for SSM2007? ;D Just kidding ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:46:33 PM by Moonwalker »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: Orion Pad Abort 1 Test Successful
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:04:50 AM »
Whilst the Ares launchers won't make it ever into space, Orion still has chances to become the Shuttle replacement. NASA has successfully performed the Pad Abort 1 Test two days ago:
...<SNIP>...

PS: Do I see another "special mission" for SSM2007? ;D Just kidding ;)

AFAIK, the Orion is defined as "addition to the ISS" whatever that means. It is interesting how and why they will bring it up there ;)

The current test became a generic "emergency abort" test, to be used for undefined "future manned missions".

And no, no "Orion test mission" of course - we leave this for other, more generic  simulators ;)

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
Re: Orion Pad Abort 1 Test Successful
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:47 AM »
AFAIK, the Orion is defined as "addition to the ISS" whatever that means. It is interesting how and why they will bring it up there ;)

They intend to basically use it as a life boat. But it's indeed interesting how they will get it up there. They do not have assigned any launch vehicle yet. And I'm also curious about the costs, especially because they already have Soyuz as backups.

They should make Orion become the Shuttle replacement instead, and develope a new multi-use launch vehicle like DIRECT or the Side Mount. But that's another topic.

The current test became a generic "emergency abort" test, to be used for undefined "future manned missions".

Yes. But I think that Orion has the best chances to be fully developed in the future. They have already put a lot of efforts and money into it. And I tend to believe it was not for nothing...

And no, no "Orion test mission" of course - we leave this for other, more generic  simulators ;)

Of course. I was just kidding ;D By the way, I've noticed that the pitching of Ares I-X has been fixed. Great. I just love to watch that mission. SSM2007 creates a nice "atmosphere". I always love it (not to mention the new sun effects...) :)