On Orbit > Real NASA Space Shuttle Missions

Your biggest misconception about the shuttle

(1/8) > >>

abortflight:
Post them here. Mine was that the shuttle took off like a plane. And I actually wrote a letter to NASA when I was seven about how they could turn the shuttle into the first commercial spacecraft by just putting some airplane seats in the payload bay! Needless to say, they didn't take to that letter too well...

uri_ba:
when I a small boy (late 80's or early 90's) - Space shuttle Discovery was launched (and it was on the news).

from some reason, I've then decided that the "space shuttle" is actually "Discovery" (ie. the "discovery" Colombia the "discovery" Endeavour  and so on). it took me a couple of years to realize where i'm wrong :)

Admin:
Nice thread!

/Admin

desktopsimmer:

--- Quote from: abortflight on June 28, 2008, 08:19:19 PM ---...putting some airplane seats in the payload bay! Needless to say, they didn't take to that letter too well...

--- End quote ---

You've watched Moonraker once too often :)

Three Stories:
Like most people I couldn't understand why the space craft like the space shuttle, apollo and soyuz level out to get into orbit. I thought space was just 'straight-up'. In high school when I was about 10yrs, I picked up a beginners guide about space, then it all made some sense, not mathematically though... :)

I didn't realise until the same age that the onboard computers automatically kept the Shuttle at AOA of 36-40 degrees during re entry, I blame the film Space Camp.

When they stopped painting the ET white, I thought that with Florida's weather that the tanks rusted up waiting to be used! Wasn't until the 2nd, 3th, or maybe 4th flight of Challenger I realised what they had done :)

simking:
LOl yes I lived in Fla and thought too that the tank was just rusted I remember thinking why would they let it fly looking like that.I also thought the tiles were thin like bathroom tiles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version