Author Topic: Space Shuttle Mission 2007™ will get stereoscopic support with Vuzix™  (Read 12644 times)

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: Space Shuttle Mission 2007™ will get stereoscopic support with Vuzix™
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
iWear has its own head tracking:

Pro: you can move your head wherever you want withiut worrying that you are not in the cone of vision of an IR transciever.

Con: only 3 Dof (roll, pitch, yaw).

TrackIR:

Pro: 6 DoF
Con: you must be in the IR transciever cone of vision so you cannot look around 270 degrees.

In our case, we can select which head tracking to use so you can use iWear with TrackIR tracking.

SSM2007 supports TrackIR:Pro.

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

enterprise_69

• Just joined training
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
Thank you for that information. I prefere the 6 DOV so I will get the trackir pro to go with the vuzix goggles and just disable the 3DOV on the goggles. Cant wait for this experience. Will let everyone know just how well it works out once I recieve both items. Oh and I will be purchasing the adapter for the goggles that blocks out all the light from other sources.
STS-1
STS-8
STS-41C
STS-26
STS-27

gablau

• Trainee
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
1. Do you actually HAVE the Vuzix HMD? Did you try it? I bet you did NOT! If not, then please do not offer advice about something you haven't tried! And if yes, well, then you're entitled to your personal opinion, just like I am (and everybody else).  I was a  BIG skeptic about consumer-grade HMD stereoscopy too before I put Vuzix on. I had some "interesting" experiences with an older consumer-grade HMD which thankfully, now it is not produced anymore. That junk cost @$800!

You are the boss around here, so I am not going to argue. Just one remark: I am 61 years old and I am into stereoscopic 3d since age 13 (the how and why is a very long story). Anyway..........

You'd be surprised how well and effectively Vuzix uses 640x480 resolution is and since it interpolates 1024x768, you can even use it with Windows, although admittedly I do not recommend you do that for more than 10 minutes.

That means it is capable to display a 1024x768 input, but due to the pixel numbers the display is still 640x480.

And we do not support or plan to support "steroglasses" - sorry.

I understand that.

These pathetic polarizing "flippers" are utterly useless and reduce the resolution and screen intensity by half.

I could ask what was the last time you have tried the "pageflippers", but I won't.

Not it doesn't reduce the resolution. The pageflipping method displays whatever the actual resolution of the screen is. You probably have the interlaced method in mind. That cuts the resolution in half. As well as the upper-lower method. You are right about the intensity, but you can always compensate that with the screen brightness and contrast setting.

You also need to use them in relative darkness to be a bit more effective. They do not work well with LCD monitors due to the LCD slower refresh rate. The manufacturer recommends 120Hz and then says tey also work with 75HZ - WRONG! The manufacturer tried to adapt them to the LCD technology, but failed. The resulting 3D image is really murky... I tried a number of them on a professional 19" CRT, including the so called "works with LCD version" (still laying around and collecting dust in my bottom drawer). It was always a relief to take them off and play the games without them. These glasses which have ZERO native games support these days - maybe other software developers know something? Then you are left with their "generic 3D support" which is almost insulting.

1. You are right about the LCD monitors. On those the LCD stereoglass rather useless.

2. The native support was no longer needed since the end of the 90s. Since then, nVidia (unfortunately not the latest versions) had a hardware decoder which could pick up the 3d geometric information from programs (like those using DirectX) and translate it into a separate left-right eye picture and pageflip it to the (CRT) monitors, giving a perfectly fluid 3d display with surprisingly negligible frame rate loss.

They do cost $99 and well, you get what you pay for, but in case of these pathetic flippers you get much less! If you care, you may want to read my impression about those glasses over in the Guru3D forum.

Since the Space Shuttle Simulator doesn't support the LCD stereoglass, there is really no point to argue much.

2. SSM2007 automatically uses the maximum Windows desktop resolution so there is NO NEED to change it within the sim. But you are talking about SSS and mentioning the Virgin game.... are we all on the same wavelength here? AFAIK SSM2007 DOES work at the 1024x768 resolution. We had to do that in order to support the Vuzix HMD. That suport goes back @5 months or more. You need to use Service Pack 2.30 and you're in business.

Want to bet that my copy of the Shuttle Simulator doesn't automatically set the resolution from my default 1024x768? Say, the cost of the program :)
Yes, I updated to SP 2.30 from day one. I can prove it with screen shots.

Peace,

Gabor

uri_ba

• Shuttle Pilot
  • Proudly Addicted!
    • SSM-fans Rulez! :)
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 04:12:47 PM »
Hi Gabor,
It's hard to see where you're quoting and where you are writing...

But the Game does adjust its resolution in the 3D mode... the Main menu only scales down to your screen resolution (sometimes leaving black borders) so that the images would not be distorted.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:15:52 PM by Admin »
The SSM-fans sites:
Blog: http://blog.ssm-fans.info
Wiki: http://wiki.ssm-fans.info
The Image Pad: http://upload.ssm-fans.info
you can contact me at uri@ssm-fans.info

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra

enterprise_69

• Just joined training
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 07:59:47 AM »
Well I have the goggles and trackir. I am having issues trying to play on my new computer but as soon as admin or support emails me back(I have sent two emails requesting help but have heard nothing back) I can tell you how good or bad the game is with the new equippment I have.
STS-1
STS-8
STS-41C
STS-26
STS-27

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
Well I have the goggles and trackir. I am having issues trying to play on my new computer but as soon as admin or support emails me back(I have sent two emails requesting help but have heard nothing back) I can tell you how good or bad the game is with the new equippment I have.

I've checked and we received only one email from you. Activation support was sent some time ago :)

/Admin

gablau

• Trainee
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
[EDITED BY ADMIN]

Hi Gabor,

Please continue the resolution conversation in the Hints and Tips thread we have opened just for you. Thank you.

/Admin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:16:30 PM by Admin »

RMS Driver

• Astronaut
  • "Docking Complete"
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »
They look sweet, but I'm saving up for a MacBook Air.
Regards,
Chris

All Missions

enterprise_69

• Just joined training
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:20 PM »
Had some difficulty with the first pair of goggles, waiting for my new pair to arrive in the mail, but I did get a short chance to see the game with the goggles on and it looked pretty good. Dont take those words as my eval of the goggles as it was not enough to make a complete judgement. Stay tuned.
STS-1
STS-8
STS-41C
STS-26
STS-27

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
What was the problem with the first pair?

/Admin

enterprise_69

• Just joined training
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
Well the problem I had was, when ever I plugged the goggles in to the computer they would not turn on, I had to give them a little shake and then the screens would flicker on, then if I moved them around the screens would flicker and go off and I couldnt get them to come back on. It would do that every time and I tried to adjust every thing I could think that may have been the cause of it. In the end though I was told they were defective and to send them back in. A new pair is being sent to me right now and hopefully will arrive today in the mail. Im keeping my fingers crossed that these will work without a hitch.
STS-1
STS-8
STS-41C
STS-26
STS-27