Deorbit, Landing and Debriefing > Stories from SSMS(tm) missions

Where are you from?

(1/24) > >>

Yoti980:
Got this shot of my hometown on STS-27... The colored circles are these cities... Yellow = My home of Evansville, Indiana... Purple = Clarksville, Tennessee... Red = Nashville, Tennessee... Green = Huntsville Alabama... White = Tallahassee, Florida

svenks:
Hehe, good idea...
Unfortunately I don't think the shuttle has ever passed directly over Denmark (not on a non-classified mission at least), so it's too far away to to even mark out Copenhagen, must less the suburb in which I live.

I have seen the shuttle and the IIS though. In June 2007 (Yes, that mission IS in SSM2007) on a very nice summer evening, we were sitting with some firends in the garden. Suddenly a very bright 'star' moved rapidly to the south. It was not a satellite (too bright and too fast) and not an aircraft either (not strobes). Then to the southeast, it suddenly winked out as it passed into the Earth's shadow. I said that it must have been the ISS, and if lucky we might get another glimpse on the next orbit in about 90 minutes.
But after just 20 or 30 minutes, it appeared again on the same trajectory - and then it dawned on me: The shuttle had just been launched within 24 hours before, and what we were seeing was the shuttle matching orbit with ISS. Now that was a treat for a space nut like me :)

BRGDS
Sven

christra:

--- Quote from: svenks on June 19, 2008, 02:48:08 PM ---Hehe, good idea...
Unfortunately I don't think the shuttle has ever passed directly over Denmark (not on a non-classified mission at least), so it's too far away to to even mark out Copenhagen, must less the suburb in which I live.
[..]

--- End quote ---

STS-99 went that far north (inclination=max. latitude). I live about 15km south of Denmark.

schmidtrock:
I live in that green spot  ;D

yoti980:
Which green spot?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version